How To Stay Safe When Driving A Motorbike In Phuket
Driving a motorbike in Phuket means you have got to be a pro at driving. The main reason for this is that the roads are pretty crowded all year long. The rainy season also makes the roads slippery which often ends up in tons of accidents on the highway.
Though driving a rented motorbike is a great way to spend your holidays you have got to take certain precautionary measures. Following these safety rules would help you make the best of your vacations which are stress free and without problems.
Safety Rules While Driving A Bike In Phuket
- Make sure that you have all the necessary documents handy when you go about renting a scooter in Phuket. By necessary documents we mean a photocopy of your passport and a Thai driving license. You may also be required to give an exam if you don’t have a British driving license.
- When you rent a scooter make sure you rent it from some place which has a bit of reputation. After all you don’t want to spoil your trip by renting a scooter from some guy sitting on the street. Ask around and look where people normally go about hiring scooters in your resort.
- Though sunbathing is great while on the beach, refrain from driving a scooter topless. This may offend the locals and is not permitted especially on the busy roads.
- If you have had no prior experience driving a scooter you must be weary of renting a motorbike in Phuket. Most tourists don’t give it a second thought while renting a bike. However what everyone looking to hire a motorbike must keep in mind is that they should have some expertise handling a bike while in Phuket. The roads here are very busy and sometimes chaotic driving is also encountered.
- In Thailand you have to drive on the left side of the road. However there will be times when you see a bunch of locals driving on the right whenever they like. However copying the locals could get you into a great deal of trouble. Since they are locals they might probably get away with it. While you on the other hand might be pulled over by the local police and charged quite a few baht. Why put a dent in your pocket. It’s always wise to drive following traffic rules.
- Similarly helmets are considered to be a big deal here in Phuket. You simply can’t get away without wearing one. Though the locals don’t sport helmets you could end up getting in trouble with the police.
- Always make sure that your gas tank is full when going on long road trips. Usually most gas stations operate between 8 am to 9 pm, so its always better to be safe than sorry.
- Refrain from buying gas offered by street vendors. Only do so in case of an extreme emergency. You must realize that such petrol or gasoline could be substandard and adulterated. In case the gasoline harms your engine you would have to pay the hefty bill of getting a new one to the motorbike rental.
- Always make sure that you are insured. Normally the insurance can only be claimed for third party injury and could be of no benefit to you in case you suffer an accident. Just make sure that you see the rental papers and look for the insurance clause.
Driving a motorbike in Phuket is a great experience. You get to see so many beautiful views and stunning places. However following the above mentioned safety rules could save you from a great deal of trouble as well.